Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have a BMW 330 auto with 92k on the clock. It

Customer Question

I have a BMW 330 auto with 92k on the clock. It drives really well but I have noticed a couple of issues with it. (I only bought the car 4 weeks ago - my 4th 330 auto).
At low RPM around 30-40 mph, when sitting at a constant, the revs fluctuates a couple of hundred rpm at times?
I've also noticed at times that I get a bit of hesitation in the the low RPM and no real torque.
Ive had the car plugged in and it comes up with Code 49 - Gear monitoring. I have done a bit of online fishing for info, but everyone seems to have loads and loads of error codes that come up with code 49, whereas I only have that 1. The car does drive well, just not as well as it should. And i'd rather get it sorted sooner rather than later.
Id just like to know where to start in regards ***** ***** the issue.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the response. I shall check the transmission fluid and report back to you.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

good luck
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help ?