Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 12 year old Jaguar S type 2.5 auto. My pride and joy,

I have a 12 year old Jaguar S type 2.5 auto. My pride and joy, but today just yards from my home an orange light came on and I was informed, restricted performance. At the m o t garage I saw that there was oil over the gearbox and the mechanic said that the box is weeping. This was on 8/04/2015. how safe is the car to drive with the orange light on?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

The orange engine management light/restricted performance/ limp home mode means the cars ecu has detected a fault with the engine/transmission...because its in limp home means the fault is relatively serious so it has to be diagnosed on a suitable diagnostic machine to be certain of what type of fault or fault codes has been logged and the fault has occurred and where and then take steps to rectify or replace which ever component is at fault..the car is safe to drive but it is in restricted/limp home mode which means there is no option but to have the problem rectified and the faults cleared to get it back to its usual performance..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert, Oh dear more expence! Thanks for the info, its been a great help.