Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I put 1.8 litre of petrol in my diesel VW by mistake then toped

Customer Question

i put 1.8 litre of petrol in my diesel VW by mistake then toped up with 55 litres, do you think it will be ok ? what do you think
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

you can get away with 15% petrol in diesel with no ill effects

so by diluting the petrol with plenty of diesel as you have done is the right thing to do as the maximum amount of petrol this size of fuel tank could cope with is 8.5 ltrs

i would reccommend adding some deisel treatment though to provide some lubrcation for the pump and injector seals
something like this :

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-67611-millers-oils-diesel-power-ecomax-fuel-treatment-500ml.aspx?utm_source=ProductSearch&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase_ProductsFeed&utm_content=67611&gclid=CLHZro6H2sUCFSXlwgodGFsARQ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is there a brand i can buy

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

the link I provided should steer you to opie oils who sell the millers oils diesel treatment

you can also buy it in halfords