Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Freelander TD4 engine rattles and throws out black smoke also

Customer Question

Freelander TD4 engine rattles and throws out black smoke also loss of power
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I will continue waiting

Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

Hello I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost. a burst or loose pipe will result in over fuelling and black smoke as you describe If this Ok then it could be a major engine sensor such as the airflow meter or cam position sensor has failed so that the ECU is now overfuelling or injecting at the wrong point and resulting in poor combustion. The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

Another possibility is that the fuel filter is blocked so resulting in low fuel pressure and again poor combustion - replace the filter in any case as diesels are very sensitive to this

also check how much oil is going through the breather by popping off the intake hose in front of the turbo and checking for oil deposits. Diesels will run off engine oil so this could also be making it rich

If its been overfilled with oil it will also produce surging as the oil finds its way back into the engine

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The first thing that was tried was checking hoses filters etc and as stated in my question all sensors have been checked, plugged into a computer its is showing no faults, the ecu was also sent away for checking and came back with no faults.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

OK
In that case I'd suggest doing a compression test across all cylinders as they all should be within 10-15 psi of each other and this wil show if the base engine is in good condition and if the cam timing is correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have tried all your suggestions with no luck

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

Ok so compression is good, across all cylinders ?

If so the next thing is to check the turbo 1st check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still no joy I'm afraid

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Ok

if you haven't already then I'd get a fuel pressure gauge onto the injector feed line and measure what the pump is putting out

any diesel specialist should be able to do this for you