Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

We have a low mileage 2006 Citroen Xsara Picasso, need to soften

Customer Question

We have a low mileage 2006 Citroen Xsara Picasso, need to soften the ride for my back. I suspect the set-up on the 2000-2002 Xsara Picasso was softer. Are the earlier front struts and rear anti-roll bar rated differently. Can we fit them to the later model. How can I get the ride of my old ZX back ??
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

The first thing to do is check that the tyre pressures are correct to those stated in the manual / on the door jamb sticker,

If looks Ok then I'd consider fitting a taller profile tyre with a smaller diameter wheel, this will add some compliance to the ride and generally calm the quick responses. An alternative is to keep the current wheel and replace the tyres with some of a softer sidewall so removing some of the compliance in the system - Toyo's for example

This is especially true if you have run-flat tyres currently fitted

If you look on the tyre at the end of the number eris there's a letter the number just before this letter denotes the load capacity and therefore sidewall stiffness.

ie 225/55 R16 91V its the 91 you're interested in try a tyre with a lower figure and you'll get a softer tyre, however bear in mind this will also soften the steering response

Its also worth checking that all the main suspension pivot points have been tightened with the car on its wheels not in the air as this can add a lot of friction to the suspension and lastly check that the brakes aren't binding at all as this too can make the ride very jerky and bouncy

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
do you still need help?