Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a land rover discovery 2 v8 3.9 petrol 2003,when

Customer Question

hi,
I have a land rover discovery 2 v8 3.9 petrol 2003,when the engine is cold it starts no problem.
when it reaches normal temp,it cuts out and will not restart.
then when the engine is cold it restarts, until it reaches normal temp then it cuts out.
can you advise, please
regards peter
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter

I'd 1st suggest checking the condition of the ECU and fuel pump power relays that are located inside the vehicle

as its not uncommon for these to corrode internally and then become unreliable as they warm up

This could be also a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

also check the condition of the coil pack on the side of the engine as these can sometimes corrode and leak out their cooling oil and then only function for a short while until they overheat
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

do you still need help?