Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I tried to reverse up a steep hill with four passengers in

Customer Question

I tried to reverse up a steep hill with four passengers in my Skoda Yeti, the clutch started slipping and the smoke came from my clutch, smell of burning from the clutch, only had the car for 4days from dealer. the car seem ok when doing normal driving. The car did have a tow-bar when I purchased the car.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi..there..

How many miles is on the vehicle?

How high roughly is biting point as per clutch?

What engine size exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

50000 miles, engine size 2litre can also get a smell of the clutch when just normal driving.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi..there..

Ok. Well clutch smell/mild so during up hill climbs/stop starting when towing can in some cases to a fair degree can be normal,but obviously the clutch life would be lowered if its had previous life of towing..but considering as you mention it slips with a passenger full car on an up hill start isnt normal and could be early stages of clutch failure,friction plate is wearing because there's more effort/demand on the clutch the slip problem resurfaces or compressive force of the pressure plate too low.so you could be looking at replacement clutch assembly/slave replacement ...............