Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2001 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 diesel diagnosed as having

I have a 2001 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 diesel diagnosed as having a failed Diesel Injection pump.
A second hand pump is available but will it work on my car as is, or will it require electronically coding to overcome the engine immobilizer.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Its a very common problem on the vauxhall 2.2dti and 2.0dti diesels - normally the only pump you can swap straight to engine is the single multiplug type "psg5" EDC ontop of the pump ensuring the codes numbers on your pump are the same as the secondhand pump it will should be plug and play with no coding required.... but these are usually found on the old Vectra B - The Vectra C has the same pump but a double plug type "psg16" EDC ontop..those are the ones that have the immobilser intergated and need reprogrammed to the car for it to start usually on tech2/opcom type diagnostic software..but having said that there alot of companies out there who can repair the edc on the pump "www.ecutesting.com" for example...i do hope this helps...if you need ask anything further then please do before you rate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. I have a single plug unit so it seems that the new second hand pump is worth a try, although paying £160 for it is still a risk. thanks again

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi... Its a risk if the pump you get is on it last legs too... they are pretty much plug and play as i say with those older single psg5 bosch pumps as long as the numbers match on both pumps as 2.0dti pumps wont work..so you shouldnt have any issue there if that second hand pump is off a 2.2dti..the only things you need to be concerned about is finding someone to time it properly to the engine using the proper timing tools and able to prime the fuel system properly as DTI engine dont have an intank pump you need to use a mityvac to get the fuel up and get the engine started...

I do hope this helps further... please dont forget to rate my answer as above most appreciated..