Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My 2008 Kia Sorento has a whine from the differential. Just

My 2008 Kia Sorento has a whine from the differential. Just had an 80,000 mile service when diff oil replaced. Whine there before service. How big a problem could this be?
Alram.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

If the whine is from the diff housing and an oil change hasnt cured or limited the noise as such means that bearings/pinion bearing within the housing has failed or worn out thats what causes the whine at certain speeds.sometimes if the drained oil that comes out of the diff has alot of swarf particles can usually tell what sort of wear or the extent even.it not unknown for the sorento to have that kind of issue..the result to rectify that would be a new differential installed or secondhand or recondition one..