Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

I recently lost all electrical power, after changing the battery

Customer Question

I recently lost all electrical power, after changing the battery same thing, took to garage new alternator fitted. Running ok for approx 1 month then battery warning light comes on driving along motorway lose all electrical power...back to square 1 please help.
Car is a 2006 2.7 V6 Diesel Jaguar S Type
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. Sorry for the delay in answering your question, I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.Have you had this problem diagnosed as being the alternator this time? There are other possibilities such as the main fuse, or a bad connection so before going further ideally some basic tests need to be carried out to confirm the alternator is the problem. It is possible there is a bad connection caused by the replacement of the previous alternator so it may be a simple problem.Otherwise if the alternator is confirmed to be the cause of the problem, it leaves two causes of failure... Early failure of the new alternator caused by a manufacturing defect or an underlying issue with the vehicle causing the alternator to fail.