Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Seat Alhambra 1.9 tdi diesel 2001. engine starts and runs fine

Seat Alhambra 1.9 tdi diesel 2001. engine starts and runs fine , no smoke from exhaust. Engine keeps dropping back to 1200rpm and fault light comes up on dash. Stop engine and restart and engine revs up fine but you have to keep the revs above 2500 or it drops back to 1200 again. Fault is intermittent . Some days drives fine others fault re occurs constantly.Water and oil temp are normal and do not vary
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this problem. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.By fault light, do you mean the check engine light?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Did you check for fault codes using a scan tool? (and if yes, what fault codes were retrieved)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have a scan tool ,all i can say is its the glow plug light that comes on . It is like two swirly circles .

The car just sits there then with increased idle speed to about 1200 rpm.

It then will not rev up untill you turn off the ignition and re start . Revs as normal then for a while ,untill fault re appears after engine is allowed to drop back to idle speed.

Jeff

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jeff,

The two cirlces is the fault light.
There are many causes for such a failure. However, first you could check for a sticky EGR valve. Clean with some carb cleaner and take the vehicle for a spin.

If this does not work, then, you would need to get the fault codes retrieved, to know exactly which part or system is causing this, so we can proceed with the diagnostics, to get to the faulty part and replace or repair accordingly.

You can get back to me with the fault code(s) , as i will explain what they mean, and how to check and confirm.

Regards,
Billy