Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My son has 1.2 Seat Leon Firstly there was a noise from drive

My son has 1.2 Seat Leon
Firstly there was a noise from drive chain, when questioned Seat they denied as a fault stating it was normal.
After a lot of negotiation they took the car and returned it without the noise, however our drive has oil which I believe is from the resovoir being overfilled?
Now the car has broken down with what is being diagnosed by the AA as a piston problem.
I believe this is directly as a result of Seat not doing the right thing Checking the Piston at the time the noise was rectified...as this would mean replacing the engine under warranty.
What sort of price may we expect for a repair and do you think there is recourse to a Seat for repair under now expired warranty as the car is over 3 years old.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing, this issue was first a worn guide or failing timing chain tensioner causing the chain to be loose and resulted in the noise that you were hearing.
Likely what has happened is that the vehicle has now jumped time and caused the pistons to make contact with the valves resulting in the piston damage.
The dealer should have caught this but getting them to admit that will likely be impossible.
The engine will run about 1300 and the labor will be 8-10 hours.