Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a 2008 Audi A5 2.OTFSI and have the dreaded oil consumption

Customer Question

i have a 2008 Audi A5 2.OTFSI and have the dreaded oil consumption issue, recently the valve tensioner failed causing the timing chain to jump and chew the cylinder head.! is there any chance this could have been caused by the high oil consumption issue and if so how would i prove this to the audi dealer who is trying to charge me £3100 for the repair. many thanks :D
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..
Did the engine run very low / dry ( oil ) when the failure occured ?
Whats the background to the oil consumption issue - have Audi looked at this at all for you ?
Rgds, MIKE.........................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The oil run low but still had around a litre in when i topped it up i turned the car off as i was visiting someone and it was still ok at this point with now 2 litres of oil in, i cam back out to start the car and it begun to vibrate and shake vigorously.

Audi performed a stage 1 consumption test,this is where the car is driven for 600 miles after a breather replacement and increased vacuum in the crankcase and if the oil needs topping up in that period it is deemed a failure which is exactly what happened.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again James - Thank you for your reply and further info..
I have to say James that given the description of whats occurred, Audi are not likely to readily hold their hands up on this one.. but I do say, readily.. because - it does , regardless of whatever happened on the day so to speak, have the underlying issue of the excess oil use.
That in itself is what you need to concentrate on with your argument with them James - the ongoing, underlying excess oil usage issue.. Regardless of whether the engine went in a big way when it did or not, it was always going to need the rebuild that it now needs to cure that excessive oil use.
Its pretty ,much impossible to say whether that caused the failure then on the day - they will have trouble arguing it either way too - so again.. go back a notch as it were and use the excess oil usage argument with them.. that regardless, was always going to cause a rebuild eventually anyway.
I hope you understand what Im saying - thats the way I personally would approach this with them - because again, they know no one can really prove or disprove the failure cause.
That way, it may take some time, but you should get some good will payment / reduction on the bill from them.. Its not an uncommon thing with the Audi range as you may well know - and they will know you know that too !
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.