Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2 litre diesel turbo Yeti, which is just over 1 year

I have a 2 litre diesel turbo Yeti, which is just over 1 year old. Since new it has suffered with an intermittent problem. As I change gear upwards (usually 3rd to 4th, and when 'pottering' in urban traffic) the engine will 'lump' as though it's not firing on all cylinders, and will not respond to the throttle (i.e. the revs will not increase). Changing down has always sorted the problem. The garage can't find anything wrong, and I've kind of learned to live with it as doesn't happen too often. Using superior grade fuel doesn't make any difference. Today, however, I stopped at a roundabout to let traffic pass, pulled away, and the engine stalled. Thought it was me, started up, bit more throttle, stalled again. I couldn't hear the engine well as it was raining and I had the radio on. Third go, I realised although the engine would start and run, it wasn't responding to the throttle so couldn't get enough revs to pull away. I switched the engine off, started up again, all was well and off we went. By this time I was halfway across the roundabout causing a minor traffic jam, in what I consider to be a potentially dangerous situation. Can you help resolve this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still need help. Please keep looking!

Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Close the question please.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello If you haven't already then I'd suggest replacing the fuel filter as this sounds like a lack of fuelThis could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop atany time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switchesin and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay ifin any doubt and do the same for the fuse, If both of theseare OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuumpipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on alltime which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a faultwith the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brakecleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid onthe bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to havethe boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check thatthe turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Matt, thanks for what looks like a very comprehensive answer. I've been suspecting it's a fuel problem, but I'm no expert! My hubby says doing all this himself is outside his comfort zone, but I will certainly print this out and present it to my Skoda dealer (the car is still under guarantee), as they just say they can't find anything wrong and don't seem inclined to think it through as you have.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not at the moment thanks. I'm logging each time it happens and will soon go to discuss it with my garage, with a copy of your suggestions, and book the car in for them to have another look. If this doesn't help, I'll get back to you.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understoodBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years