Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2007 mini cooper diesel - intermittent fault abs light comes

Customer Question

2007 mini cooper diesel - intermittent fault abs light comes on, was there a recall for this problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive. The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious. However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's. Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The ABS light is not staying on ! My car has an Intermittent Fault , I can start my car in the Morning - No fault lights, I can start my car Lunchtime - no fault lights and I can start my car end of Working day no fault lights, and yet another day., I can start my car in the Morning and the ABS etc fault lights come on, and the Same again if I start my Car lunchtime, all fault lights come on ABS etc and again at end of work day start my car and all fault lights come on. I am never able to say when the Fault lights will or won't come on. I do know that I do not have a Mechanical problem with my Car and, if there is a Fault, the light will stay on BUT NO LIGHTS ARE STAYING ON ALL THE TIME- IT'S INTERMITTENT My car has had several diagnostic checks and yes the lights were on but no fault found, Every Sensor has been cleaned and still the light comes on Intermittently !! I was hoping someone could tell me if there had been a recall on this car 2007, we have carried out everything you suggested but, The LIGHTS DO NOT STAY ON ALL THE TIME !

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jen

sorry to hear that

there was an recall for ABS wiring but only on models up to 2003 so yours' shouldn't be effected

I'd next suggest to measure the resistance of all 4 wheel sensors as they should all be the same - if you find 1 thats higher than the rest then replace it
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jen

do you still need help?