Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I've got a 2005 Peugeot 407 1.6Hdi. Last September it started

Customer Question

I've got a 2005 Peugeot 407 1.6Hdi. Last September it started blowing white smoke out the exhaust. Since that time I've replaced the turbo (it had seized), and replaced the cylinder head. Also I've had all 4 injectors checked and reconditioned. The reason I replaced the head was because when I took off the cam cover, I saw that one of the bores for the hydraulic tappets had broken off, the rocker arm had fallen off it's seating and was sitting on the bottom. So I checked all valves, rocker arms and hydraulic tappets and renewed them as necessary before installing in the head. I've also installed a new fuel filter, and I've drained the fuel tank of diesel and replaced it with fresh diesel. Alas, the white smoke is still there as bad as it ever was. I am almost certain that it's smoke as opposed to steam - it tends to linger around rather than evaporating, plus it stinks something awful. Also, the white smoke tends to get a lot worse after the engine temperature has risen to normal operating temperature.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello you get white smoke when its overfuelling , or there's a boost leak post the MAF meterSo check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost. If the above are all OK then try checking for airleaks after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running. As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that. It's after 10pm here now and dark so I will check these things out tomorrow. I took a quick look a few minutes ago with a torch, the intercooler looks quiet fouled with oil on the bottom. Could that be a factor? Maybe it's worth cleaning it up?

Also there is the fact that the white smoke grows worse as the engine gets warmer. Do you think this is consistent with an air leak somewhere?

Thanks again, I'll take a detailed look tomorrow morning.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hello OK the oily intercooler is a good sign that the interooler is leaking as there's a small amount of oil carried over in the intake air which may well then be leaking out through a crack in the intercooler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Two pictures, front and back of the intercooler which I removed this morning. What do you think? Worth trying to clean it up or should I replace it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok an update. Aside from the intercooler being covered in gunk, I poured water into it and found a substantial leak. See the photo attached. Am I on the right track do you think?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
that looks pretty oily to me , if you were to give it a blast of brake cleaner to see if you can spot a crack or leak , but this coupled with your issues I'd say just replace it and I've just spotted your latest image definitely replace it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Might take me a while to source a new intercooler so I'll go do that. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
try these firms: http://www.peugeotpartsdirect.co.uk/ or http://www.a5salvage.com/