Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an almost new Yeti DSG 150 diesel 4+4. At very low speeds

I have an almost new Yeti DSG 150 diesel 4+4. At very low speeds eg 5mph there is a clunk, I think from the transmission, if my foot is taken off the accelerator suddenly or it is quickly depressed & also when the DSG changes up from 1 to 2 or sometimes 3. It sounds as though there is play in the transmission somewhere. Is this a characteristic of the Yeti or do you think it is a fault? If so what do you think it might be?
Thanks Peter
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello PeterI'd say that you should check for a broken or worn mounting - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts boltsif this is OK then its quite possible your transmission controller needs updated software as it shouldn't clunk like this this would be a dealer job
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As the car has done less than 1000 miles & is only a few weeks old I would expect software to be fully up to date & no wear of any kind. Would you agree?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Ok in that case the mounts will probably be fine but I'd still make a quick phone call to your local dealer as often there are updates which aren't applied to the new cars until they reach their 1st service all they'll need is your registration and they can check if any updates are required
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks for that. Do you think it unlikely that there might be play in things like drive shafts etc ( I don't know what connections there are in the drive train ). If so, what things might be involved ?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello as the car is so new its unlikely to have much play in shafts joints unless 1 has been damaged by a pot hole or impact? typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at a reasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will 'click'.