Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Suzuki grand vitara 2009 model a week ago I had a

Customer Question

I have a Suzuki grand vitara 2009 model a week ago I had a problem whilst driving putting it from 5th gear to 4th gear then it was fine till yesterday when I tried to reverse and couldn't get it into reverse! Then it was fine till later on when I stopped behind a car turning off and couldn't get any gears at all! I stopped and waited about a minute or two and kept trying eventually it went back into all the gears and drove it home using all my gears. I then tried to reverse and it is solid will not go into reverse! I took the car to my local garage and they said they can't see anything and it will have to go to a gearbox specialist?! Can you advice please has anyone had this problem before???
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello the first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air outI favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.If this doesn't help then next check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.If its a cable type linkage check along the cable lengths for any damage or signs of heavy wear / fretting, if you find any replace the cable. There may be some adjustment on the cable tension at the gearbox end (depending on the year) and the cable should be tensioned so there is a minimum of slack but not so its taughtThen check gearbox oil levels and if its not been changed in the last 20K miles then drain it off and fill with fresh. I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known it help with shift issues on many manual gearboxes
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hi Susan

do you still need help?