Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2011 Freelander 2 SD4. When in heavy traffic/traffic jam with

2011 Freelander 2 SD4. When in heavy traffic/traffic jam with start/stop every few seconds for about an hour the acceleration goes totally out of the window. I nearly got wiped out by a lorry when entering a roundabout because the Freelander would not move. It took 100 yards to get up to 25 mph. This has happened to me 5 times in the past 3 months. A land Rover garage at Brock had it in to diagnose and fix but it is still happening. It seems to clear after another 45 minutes or so of ordinary running. Can you advise please. It is still under extended warranty.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keep trying. I really don't think I will get an answer though because the main dealers can't answer it. Thanks.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if the engine isn't responding to throttle input and not revving up then I'd say it may be a fault with the throttle pedal?So I'd suggest as a next step to disconnect the pedal and clean the connections with some switch cleaner and ideally when a dealer diagnostic tool is plugged in you can check the range of the pedal and ensure that the signal is clean with no spikes or sudden voltage changes when the pedal is depressed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is going to main dealer tomorrow so I will advise them of your thoughts and see what they do. Problem is that after a further half an hour of free running it clears the problem.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello that implies that its an electrical fault, as its quite common to have electrical parts effected by temperature, so the internal connections are sometimes improved as they warm up and are pushed closer together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is possibly the opposite. As it gets hotter with multiple push and releases the temperature gets higher and puss only a high resistance somewhere causes a breakdown. Anyway either could be the problem. Let's see what the diagnostics bring this time. I will let you know.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understood
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hi
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt, we have found the problem. It is the EGR valve and it only happens when the temperature gets to 89 degrees when it then sticks. I thought it had to be something that was caused by getting hot in a traffic jam. I hope it is covered under the warranty. Thanks for your help anyway. Regards
Rob
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Well done for getting to the bottom of it Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answer was logical but the problem was very complex and took many iterations of testing to find and is apparantly the first ever of this type on this model of car. I am not sure how I would rate the answer except to say it was a logical step.