Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I would like my Navara Outback one year old to change gear

I would like my Navara Outback one year old to change gear 6 &7 sooner at about fifty MPH
Our Mercedes always changes up to 7 at fifty MPG, tha Navara spends most of its time in5&6 gear
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pleas continue to try to find an answer to my question,I realy need to get the MPH up .Yours Ian Parnall

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if the ECU thinks the fuel consumption will be better in a lower gear then it typically won't change up until you reach the flat, this is normal and how the transmisson control is calibrated however if it never goes into top then either the transmisson software needs updating or it may not be calculating the torque correctly in which case it would be worth checking for an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by theECU and so not compensated for causing rough running.As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the enginerunning. Check the hoseclips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas/propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found yourleak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years