Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Could you please tell me why I have discovered again this morning,

Could you please tell me why I have discovered again this morning, all 4 of my windows on my car half way down!! Luckily it didn't rain and nothing was stolen, but this has happened 2 or 3 times in the past. A colleague at work said it could only be a fault with the battery, but I have had it tested recently whilst undergoing an annual service but I was told it is fine, I really need to now why this has been happening, could you please help. Many Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello 1st thing to check is that you didn't accidentally sit on the remote or otherwise press the open button as if you hold down the button for more than 2 seconds all the windows will wind down if this didn't happen then its possible the remote is faulty or there's a wiring fault with the door lock loom, probably where it passes through the rubber gaiter in the door hinge line
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could it possibly be the battery? If not then the remote? But am careful with this, and lock the car once to lock all the doors, but requires 2 clicks to unlock all the doors. I have never pressed and held down the unlock button to open all the windows at once.

What is the best option to sort this out once and for all without it costing me a lot of money? Unfortunately I don't have any warranty.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If you have ruled out the car battery then it could be the remote - but I am careful with this, and lock the car once to lock all the doors, but requires 2 clicks to unlock all the doors. I have never pressed and held down the unlock button to open all the windows at once.

What is the best option to sort this out once and for all without it costing me a lot of money? I don't have any warranty.

Many Thanks

Jiten

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello replacing the remote battery is a good idea and its also possible that the remote is faulty try a new battery 1st and if that doesn't work then contact your local dealer about a new remote