Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

There My Suzuki Jimny has a problem when it gets hot.

Customer Question

Hi There
My Suzuki Jimny has a problem when it gets hot. The engine starts to stutter and the ignition light flickers on and off. At the same time the tacho needle drops to zero when ignition light is on, but returns to normal when the ignition light goes off.
If I slow down or stop to let it cool down the problem goes away after a minute or so.
Can you help me please?
David Blake
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Dave have a diagnostic scan done and check for malfunction codes, as in some cases the system will store a code for the Crankshaft sensor, but in others may not ,as i have seen a few time the crankshaft sensor cause this issue, due to the fact the RPM failing also points to the crank sensor.
If you have other codes then let me know.
Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply button and not the poor or bad service rate buttons .
This way i can get back to you and suggest other options or suggest another Expert .
Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg

Thanks for coming back to me. I have had the diagnostics done (again) and there are no error codes being reported.

The light that comes on when the engine stutters is actually the orange imobiliser light (bottom left hand side of the dashboard window).

The local garage think the problem may be something to do with the imobiliser circuit.

I have two keys and it does it with both, so it is not a defective chip in a key.

Any thoughts?

Is there any way to bypass the imobiliser just to get me out of a hole, if that is what it is?

David Blake

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave .
Now this is very possible ,looks like a wiring or connection problem ,this should be checked first if all checks out good you will need a more advanced scan tool to check for immobilizer malfunction codes.
You need to check for UXXXX code as this immo control module malfunction
common issue , Can controller ??
Please rate my help a good to excellent if you are satisfied .
If not ready to rate don't rate poor or bad service as we can continue to work on this issue or I can opt out and recommend another expert .
After accepting there is no extra charge for further assistance.
If I don't reply soon I will as quickly as I can when i get back on line.
Kind regards Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience: Automotive diagnostic tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg

How do I find someone who has the necessary kit to do the immobilizer diagnostics?

My local guy only has the equipment to look at the ECU and all the engine management stuff.

There is a Suzuki dealer in Newbury. Would they have the kit to do this?

The earliest I can organise this now is Monday.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi David .

If there is no closer dealer you may have to take a drive out there and they will have the needed equipment for this repair .

You could call out your local key smith they will also have the needed tools to check this for you.
Ask him on the phone forst if he can help.
Click here

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg

I have found the answer. You were right, it is the crankshaft sensor. Apparently the fault does not show up on the diagnostics with an error code.

I am sorry I only rated you OK, but you were hassling me for a rating and I did not know you were right until just now.

David Blake

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
No Problem David ,
Was not me hassling you, was the automated reply's, Sorry .
Rgds Greg