Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

HelloI have a 2003 Nissan Terrano 4WD. There is a surging

I have a 2003 Nissan Terrano 4WD. There is a surging feel/sound when I change gear and press the accelerator such as when I am starting to go up hill but there is no increase in speed. In effect there seems to be a loss of power.
Can you help please?
Donald
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Ross, thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a diagnostic and repair technician and I look forward to working with you.Is your Nissan an Automatic or Manual? Thanks. Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry Manual

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
No problem. would you say it sounds like the engine revs increase but the car does not speed up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes - the car then slowly improves its speed. Most noticable on a hill but not driven very far with it like this. I has so far managed to get up the quite steep hills.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this sounds like a classic case of slipping clutch. I suspect the clutch has worn out to a point where it can no longer hold without slipping, this allows the engine revs to increase but does not transfer the rotation to the wheels. This usually goes hand in hand with a "hot" or burning smell as it progresses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excellent - many thanks

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
No problem! hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.