Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

There I own a 1999 Ford Fiesta Zetec s , I was driving

Hi there I own a 1999 Ford Fiesta Zetec s , I was driving round a roundabout and my car suddenly died , pulled over to the side of the road and tried to start my car and all I got was this one single click , I got it home and and now I'm stumped , I've changed the starter motor , changed the battery but still no luck .... Help ??
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well. There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cablesone other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know this might sound stupid but how do I crank it by hand , I've tried jump starting it , push starting it , changed the battery for a brand new one , cleaned all connectors and made sure there on tight , but I'm not sure if the alternator is working , I turn the key , it clicks and the belt tries to turn but only a cm
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello the easist way to turn it by hand is to put it in gear and push the car to check the engine can turn through at least 2 full turns or you can get a large socket onto the crnak pulley nut and turn it that way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Soon as I put it in gear it locks up and the car doesn't move , any suggestions ?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ok thats not goodas a next step I'd pull the spark plugs and see if the engine then turns over if its still doesn't then its possible the cam timing is out due to a slipped or broken belt and the engien will need to have its head removed to repair any damage
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I have got it to crank over and it starts but I starting driving it , couple of mins later it cuts out and I'm losing power and it now won't turn over
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
HelloOk if its not cranking / turning over again then I'd say this is a lack pof battery power does it crank with a jump battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there it was a problem with the air filter and now it's all good thank for everything
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
great! glad it was so simpleBear in mind thatthe site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the siteuntil you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site andthe expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.