Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Audi A3 2006 BKD engine. Can the swirl flap be removed

Audi A3 2006 BKD engine. Can the swirl flap be removed permantly and coded out so the DTC doesn't log? Will removing the butterfly and leaving the pivot holes open cause an issue with gumming up and possibly impair air flow?

Category: Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok what is the concern you have ie manifold runner control fault (mil light in )
What dtc is logged
Is this a 2.0tdci diesel
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The mil is on and there are 2 DTC,s logged.P2102 & P2100, not integrated with a VAG tool. The engine has a slight overrun / shudder on engine off. Which fits in with the swirl flap is jammed.

The car is a 2006 A3 2.0 tdi with the BKD engine. Covered 110k miles.

Oil changed twice a year and the car covers mainly longer runs and regular fast motorway journeys for 2hrs +.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy thanks
Ok these codes relate to a fault with the electronic throttle actuator motor (circuit /high /low )
This is unconnected to the usall inlet manifold swirl flap concern
In some cases fuse 8 or 24 blow in the engine fuse box )
And in other cases it is just the throttle body motor that sticks causing the issue
It is a fault I have seen a few times over the years(not as common as the manifold runner control faulty)
and each time the issue has been resolved by fitting a new throttle body assembly (tip - places like euro car parts etc are much less expensive than genuine Audi parts
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Andy please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Brian,

I will check the fuses and the throttle assembly, pots etc.

One of my collogues mentioned a lot of cars have twin throttle pots and the DTC is logged when one fails, at this point it is only a matter of time before the second one fails and leaves the car stranded.

Many thanks,

I will leave feedback when I have found the issue.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy good morning to you
Ok these 2.0 tdci only have one throttle body which is attached to the front of the inlet manifold and has a large air intake pipe attached to it
I look forward to your Reply
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

Been reading through the VAG forum, think we are talking about the same thing. Quote for DTC's P2102 & P2100 "Its known as an anti shudder valve or inlet manifold flap not a throttle body as such". Its prone to jamming open when it get gummed up, has been known to jam closed and stop the engine from running. I think it probably could be removed but I wanted to check. Will also have to code out using vagcom to stop the DTC from logging, but don't know what the code is.Have seen it for the EGR.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy
Ok this is the same component I call it a throttle body ) some people call it an air shut off valve they are the same components
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

I would like to rate your service, you did respond quickly and dialogue conversed freely, but due to the several names for the same component the original question was not answered. The component is just to stop the annoying Diesel overrun on ignition off, but it probably isn't advisable to remove the butterfly and the component would have to be removed electronically to stop the DTC's. If you agree or have a solution I will respond to feedback.

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi there good evening to you Andy
I would advise replacing the throttle body (intake air shut off valve ) As this ties in with your over run concern
As when you key off the butterfly should close to stop any further air entering the engine this stops engine run on
On the parts screen it will show as In take throttle body
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian