Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

The ignition on my daughters car keeps screeching before it

the ignition on my daughters car keeps screeching before it will engage.sometimes it is so bad it won't go for several hours! There is no fault light coming up.what could it be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help -Sorry to see you have had a wait.
If the screech noise occurs when the key is turned to the start position, then you have the starter motor not engaging with the flywheel... its the metal to metal causing the noise.
This will mean you need either the starter motor repairing -if you have anyone near you to do that -or , replacing.
Before replacing -when the starter motor is off - the flywheel teeth need to be checked for damage.
There will be some marks - but so long as its not torn too badly it will be ok with another starter motor fitted.. otherwise, it would need a new flywheel ring gear - which is a gearbox off job.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..
Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -
- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert