Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

We have a Honda 1600 automatic CRV 2006 model with central

Customer Question

We have a Honda 1600 automatic CRV 2006 model with central locking. However. The fob has partially stopped working in as much as it will centrally lock at the push of the button every time but refuses to unlock any door or the boot. We have to use the key. We have tried an electric contact oil on the fob but no luck. Any ideas would be gratefully received! Thanks. Jane
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi .

If you can open but not lock the system then see if the switch on the drivers door will lock
the doors and see if you can open the boot also from the inside switch .
If the switches inside the car work then you have a faulty FOB .

Try your spare FOB first to confirm .
try a new battery this could asso be the problem .
No luck replace the fob.

if needed please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.
Greg, Technician
Experience: Automotive diagnostic tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg. You have it the wrong way round. It locks!
It does not unlock.
To re-enter the car we have to use the key and it will only open the door used with the key. In other words...using the key in the driver door, does not unlock all the doors simultaneously
Jane
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane .

Okay thank you for pointing that out to me but same condition .

With the key you need to double turn to open all doors , This is how to open all doors .

One turn will open the drivers door, turn the key again within 3 seconds, will open all the others doors .

If all system are working from the car (not the remote) lock open etc, then the fob is malfunctioning .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg. Tried it but it did not work. The key doesn't unlock all the doors on the second turn. We have to unlock one door at a time; the drivers, the passenger and then reach in the back to manually unlock the rear passenger doors.

Backatchyer!

Thanks. Jane

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane .

When you unlock or lock the doors with the trasmitter does the fob light light up red.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ha! Our fob is a small black square thing with one button. Red light? I wish. We only have one fob and one key as that was all the garage had when we bought it. Sorry. Jane

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane .

So this is not an original alarm system fitted, but an aftermarket .

A 2006 Honda CR-V Remote has three buttons .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg. Oops. I've had a blonde moment. (It's a British thing!) As my Husband has just reminded me...we have an HRV, not a CRV. My bad. Sincere apologies. BTW it doesn't have any alarm system fitted or otherwise.

We bought the car second hand from a garage here in Cyprus in 2011. Everything worked well until after a couple of years, the central locking started playing up and every so often it would lock and unlock the doors whilst being driven. Then the fob stopped working properly and now it only locks the car.

If, as I suspect, it comes down to biting the bullet and getting a new fob (if that is even at all possible) can you tell me roughly the cost of it. And what information is needed to get one. Thanks and sorry again. Jane

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

LOL... Good one Jane .. Good job i'm also a brit and understand out blond attacks .

Must of had one also, as i did see you put down 1.6L which the CRV does not have
smallest is a 2.0L.

Okay check the remote you said only one button but this one should have a two button remote .

graphic

Even better can you take a photo of it and post it here for me to see, but i'm sure if not the same as this one then you have an aftermarket system fitted and i advise you to have this removed to save yourself from a no start issue due to this system .

But let me know first .

Rgds Greg

should look like this one .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Gawd. what a pair we are eh? CRV/HRV. CRV is fondly ***** ***** a Cyprus retirement vehicle here. That's why we chose the HRV!

Nope. Our fob sure don't look like that one. One pic deserves another. I've attached two. One key, one fob. The key shows a number. Regards. Jane

FobKey

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane .

No not original . please get this professionally remove and buy an original fob .

But the original fob has to be reprogrammed to the system with HONDA diagnostic scan tool .

Thank you Jane and if anything else then please get back to me ,there is no extra chanrge .
Only a tip if you want to give .EmbarassedWink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok Greg...and finally. Do you reckon its the fob rather than the master door solenoid? Get me Glor! As if I know what I'm talking about! It's my husband that posed the question. He asks because the fob used to work properly. If its faulty, why does it still lock as it must still be programmed. If the key is used on the master driver door, then would you not expect it to lock and unlock all doors? Thanks. Jane. r

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane .

One question :

From the drivers door switch, can you lock and unlock the doors .
Does everthing work .just the doors will not unlock with the fob.

If thats the case then you have a control module problem ,(Alarm system that was fitted.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. There is no switch? There is and never has been an alarm fitted and there is no imobiliser. Only the driver door opens and locks with the key. Same goes for the passenger door. In a nutshell. We lock the car using the fob, and unlock each door individually using the key. Jane

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane .

LOL... okay, You have the basic Honda will no extras now this is where someone has fitted not an alarm system but a aftermarket central locking system .

You will have to have this checked at your local autoparts store where they sell this system and have it checked or replaced depending if the system can be fixed .
Not an expensive system to buy you can get them on eBay .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Thanks very much for your help. Have a good day.

Jane

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Great have a good day also Jane .

Rgds Greg