Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Ref - Suzuki Jeep 1998. I have changed the fuel pump because

Customer Question

Ref - Suzuki Jeep 1998. I have changed the fuel pump because it stopped running 6 months ago. now it has stopped running again. I know the fuel gauge is not accurate - is empty at quarter full indicator. I was told the Alternator could be the problem ?? It squeals when starting and the battery went flat. Put new Battery in and car stopped poured 5 litres petrol in and it started but engine splutters and backfires. Dont know what to do ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome - My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help-Can you tell me the current situation - where you are up to exactly - plus - EXACTLY whats been done / tried - parts etc changed and so on / tests etc - Rgds, MIKE...............................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mike,

Current situation - car will not run far, spluttering etc. But initially conked out. I had new fuel pump put on 6 months ago. Currently battery is good would turn engine over but not starting.

battery is new as went flat a few days ago.

john

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi John -Ok - can I just check - have you checked that its got ignition / and fuel up to the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello Mike, it does start but cuts out after a couple of minutes

john

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi there John - Sorry I was not on last eve.If it starting - running -and then cutting out - that suggests the ign side of it is ok.. and that the issue is either a restriction of air - with such , it will strangle and choke the engine to death.... So - this can be clogging air filter / tubes.. co check on that. I dont know for sure whether you have fuel injection on that or a carb set up ... if its a carb - check the operation of the choke.. a faulty / sticking choke will do the same.Another cause would be faulty fuel pump - I note you changed that - but to be sure its ok, you really would need a pressure tester hooked in line to it... But - check the fuel filter first - if thats clogging, that would do it.Too - check the lines - fuel lines for damage / kinks etc.Lastly - the other thing that iwll cause strangulation so that it dies in the time period you said, would be a restriction in the exhaust - If its an injection model, you will have a cat convertor on it.. that is a suspect then - and you can have blockages in the silencers - So - thats the way - the ways to work forward on this John to get this sorted for you -Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mike,

I note your observations. Does not have fuel injection. Exhaust not blocked. Is access to fuel filter easy ?

The car is in a different part of the country from me. I wanted to know the options causing it to conk out to see if i can do it myself before going to a garage mechanic.

john

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again John -
Thank you for your reply.
On the non injection model the filter should be on the bulkhead - follow the fuel line back from the carb -and you will come to it.
You could by pass the filter for test purposes John - use a link pipe - but if you have a test gauge for fuel pressure - which would be really handy, check that - you should get about bar of pressure. If its not right for whatever reason - fault / restriction in the fed or return, you will get the symptoms you have.
Also if its not a injection, then you have the old type ign.. check the distributor John - for correct ign operation - I suspect you will find your problems there if you rule out the fuel side... ( exhaust also ruled out )
Again you can get back to me anytime.. -- and let me know how you go - Im always happy to help further if needed. Please do click on the OK ratings for me at this point John, Thank you *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your advice.

john

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome John -
Let me know how you get on.. and you are welcome back anytime.
Best Rgds,. MIKE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike, Thanks. I paid £20 up front. Hope that is OK. The car was transported to garage who put on original fuel pump. They are repairing it for free cause pump is only ten months old. Thanks again for your help.

john