Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Recently bought a Toyota Altezza RS200. Running perfect the

Customer Question

Recently bought a Toyota Altezza RS200. Running perfect the night I bought her. Gave it a bit of reving one night and a rough idol came in it to make the whole car go into a vibration.
Looked under the bonnet and the top hoes was very hot. bottom hoes was hot but not as hot.. I know a car has to get warm. But its running to hot!!
Car isn't rising temp hand or losing oil/water/coolant..
I think the inlet manifold is on the way out..
But there alot of hot air rising from the engine to.. Can anyone recommend what to do or check??
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello this sounds like the thermostat isn't openingso I'd suggest replacing it as the next stepWhilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.If you still have a problem then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing. Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)