Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

2003 x type 2.0 diesel recently purchaced full history very

2003 x type 2.0 diesel recently purchaced full history very pleased except under acceleration it sometimes cuts out or looses power and the glow plug light comes on.All I have to do is switch off and restart and every thing is fine. Any suggestions folks?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed diagnostic and repair technician, I look forward to working with you.
This will be a fault detected relating to the diesel management system, the power loss is caused by the car going into "limp mode" this restricts power to prevent engine damage if something unusual is detected. Based on the fact it happens when accelerating, and the glow plug light flashes I suspect it may be the turbocharger over or under boosting, but it's very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause due to the amount of possibilities so the next step is to get the car plugged into a diagnostic system which will give a fault code. Often it is a simple sensor issue but with the amount of possible causes it's simply not cost efficient to take a guess without the fault codes being read. Most garages do this for around £40 and it often pinpoints the exact cause.
Ideally the problem should be looked into as soon as is convenient however other than the obvious power restriction, it's perfectly safe to drive until then providing the engine otherwise runs well.
I hope this answers your question, Please feel free to come back to me if you need further help, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to accept or rate me, thanks, Ross.