Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My car - Suzuki Sx4 1.9D - Jan 2008- has 50000miles. Since

My car - Suzuki Sx4 1.9D - Jan 2008- has 50000miles. Since I bought 3 years ago, car covers less than 3000 miles pa
I have to MOT every year of course, but does it make sense,given low mileage covered each year to pay for service only every two years instead of yearly?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome.
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..
I understand fully your reasoning - and it does make some sense yes.
It really depends on how long you intend to keep the car - in that a prospective buyer might look down on a 2 year service routine - knowing it "should be" yearly - and so affect its resale value. That said, if you keep it long enough , the money you would save n servicing may well out weigh that - and - it devalues rapidly anyway.
You have to bear the above in mind though and make the decision based on that .. thats really the top and bottom of it.
As far as benefit to the car - you are only doing 3k miles pa... average mileage is seen as 10-12 k a year so the car is doing seriously less mileage - it wouldn't do it any harm to stretch its servicing as you suggest - and of course the MOT will pick up any issues that may arise yearly.
Another way to reduce servicing costs is to use an independent garage - there is no real benefit in using a dealer and paying their charges on a car that is around that year. Your choice on that of course but its a thought for you. You can save considerable sums over dealer charges and get just as good a job and a stamp in your service book too.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~>>>>>>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..
Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -
- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for this...I will be keeping car for foreseeable and so will adopt 2 yearly service.

My concern ( as mechanical ignoramus!) was that there might be some tech prob I was not aware of,but I feel confident now

Thanks again- money well spent!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I understand - no, I agree with you.. I would do as you intend to be honest with you as well. Faults can and do occur of course but unforseeable - you are just not doing the mileage to worry really - Servicing yearly would not ward of any tech issues like that ...Glad you have helped - You are welcome back amytime.. and Thank you for the rating.Best Rgds, MIKE.