Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have got a mitsubishi challenger with the 4d56 engine

Customer Question

Hi I have got a mitsubishi challenger with the 4d56 engine I have rebuilt the top end with new bcam belts. It runs fine apart from when I excelarate when the turbo starts the inlet relief valve opens and the engine doesn't have the usual thrust also when the valve opens black oil sprays out any ideas. Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
the 'dump' valve should be sprung closed and also have a vacuum line to it to pull it open on the over-run so 1st check that this valve is sealing shut in normal useI'd also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issuesAlso have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I will have a look tomorrow.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
understood just get back to me on this post