Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I spilled 1/4 can of coke into my Golf Mark 6 central cup

I spilled 1/4 can of coke into my Golf Mark 6 central cup holder (its an automatic). I mopped half of it up but some seeped down below the rubber and through a couple of holes. For some reason the cup holder is not waterproof! Should I be worried, and is there anything I can do to in the immediate term about this? What are the possible problems this could cause? Thanks

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'd say you're unlikely to have any issues as there's a lot of volume under the console for fluid to run into and just evaporate however the worst case is the drink getting into the gear position selector switch and shorting it out - this will appear as gear selection issuesI'd just leave it unless you have issues as removing the centre console is several hours work