Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have Landrover Freelander E S 2000. There appears to be

Customer Question

I have Landrover Freelander E S 2000.
There appears to be a knocking noise coming either from the prop shaft or the drive shaft to the wheels Its difficult to determine which it might be. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'd suspect the prop as the driveshafts tend not to make any noises when they are worneither it has a worn joint or the centre bearing is worn or its out of balance you can easily check for for any slack in the propshaft joints by twisting either half by hand and feeling for any play as there should be virtually none the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally but if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit and then look along the propshaft for any signs of a missing balance weight as these take the form of little 3/4" squares that are welded onto the shaft - as they areonly tacked on they can sometimes come loose and be lost resulting in the shaft being out of balance - if a joint is worn this can also shake them loose so if a joint is replaced its good practice to have the shaft re-balanced afterwards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the knocking only happens when slowing down or when the car picks up speed.but it is very intermittant.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'd definitely check out the prop next and also check that the diff oil level is up to the mark
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hi

do you still need help?