Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have VW Polo Match 60, 2012, It pulls to the left when

Hi, I have VW Polo Match 60, 2012, It pulls to the left when steering wheel grip relaxed and it feels like I am having to stop it going to left even on a flat level road. Also when turning right the steering feels slightly heavier than when turning left.
The tracking has been adjusted, 4 wheel alignment completed (2 hour job with special equipment) and front and rear tyres swapped. Pressures checked at left at 30psi. The tracking was not significantly out in both cases. The adjustments have made no difference at all.
The dealer has been helpful but have reached the end of their solutions and feel that pulling to left is normal due to the roads and they do not think there is a real problem. But I have had other cars in the past without this problem. My son has driven the car today and feels the problem is very real and also my wife, we are just not used to driving a car with this constant pull to the left, it really spoils the experience of a decent vehicle.
I honestly don't know what to do next.
Kind Regards
Peter
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello sounds like you've covered nearly everything however I'd check the condition of the strut top bearign mount as if 1 side was seized then the steering would feel heavier in 1 direction compared to another as it loads up during cornering To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks I will check it out tomorrow. However, although the car is 2012, it has only completed 2500 miles, I assume it would be unlikely for this part to be worn out?

Would the strut top bearing being worn cause the car to pull to the left all the time. From what I see on-line, this pulling to the left is a well known problem with VW, but what I haven't seen is a solution, hence my use of this service. Best Regards, Peter.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
My thinking is if the strut is binding then it won't allow the steering to self centre on its buhses as it should
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Looking at the struts and the top ends all look visually almost brand new, only 2500 miles use.

However, having tried today, it is impossible to get my hand on the spring without being injured when the wheel is turned due to lack of clearance between the wheel arch and the wheel.

Have you any other suggestions I can go back to the dealer with?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
It is possible to feel the spring but it has to be done from underneath with the car on a 4 post lift other possibles would be a steering rack that isn't centred and so is constantly trying to push it back to its centre under power assistance , the fix would be to disconnect the steering column then run the engine to power the steering pump and allow the rack to centre, then re-fix the column and re-do the tracking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** see the dealer soon and see how we get on. Will let you know.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
understood