Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Power steering malfunction message on info screen /

power steering malfunction message on info screen /
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Does this message appear permanently or do you find it comes on when turning and goes off again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
message appears permanently wnen turning on ignition , power steering inoperable , car had been sitting unused for a week and when starting up for first time orange warning sign first then red malfunction sign on messages with no power steering , fluid level in reservoir normal , no signs of leaks etc . is this likely to be an electrical problem or mechanical.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this sounds like a common problem with these models. The pump contains an electronic control unit which works along side a sensor known as the Steering angle sensor. These sensors commonly fail and are fairly simple to replace, they are around 100 pounds from Ford.The other possibility is failure of the pump control module, again this is often the cause of the warning light and unfortunately does require the replacement of the power steering pump.Ideally the next step will be to get the car plugged into a Ford diagnostic system ( most garages can do this now) and the codes read. This will give a fault code and a description of the fault which will help pinpoint the problem, This is the only way to be sure exactly what is causing the problem.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.