Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Mitsubishi outlander PHEV. Onstarting the car ona slope,up

Mitsubishi outlander PHEV. Onstarting the car ona slope,up or down,a distinct thump is heard on the gear being engaged. This is an automatic car.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you. This is completely normal for an automatic gearbox, when you select park a "parking pawl" is engaged, this is basically a metal pin that prevents the car from moving by locking the gearbox, the car will roll slightly on a slope so the entire rolling weight is held on the pawl, when released out of park, the pawl is retracted and goes with a considerable thud due to the weight of the car held on this metal pin being released. This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, its more prominent in some makes/models than others.Naturally its not nice for you car to go bang every time you move out of park, so there are a few things to consider.Firstly, firmly apply the hand brake before selecting park, the handbrake will hold the weight of the car so the parking pawl has no weight applied to it when released. If this is a new problem that has recently started to occur, its a sign the hand brake no longer holds as well is it should and may need adjustment, Otherwise it is simply a characteristic of an automatic gearbox and is perfectly safe and normal. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.