Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a BMW Z3 2001 roadster. Too kit to BMW to look at some

I have a BMW Z3 2001 roadster. Too kit to BMW to look at some low speed vibration, they could find no damage or problems under the car, but noticed the oil pan gasket was leaking. Very expensive fix, but now the steering rack has failed, over extending on the right side and the tyre is hitting the body
Could this have been a result of them dropping the steering rack out of the way to get to the sump?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Was it the same garage that diagnosed the rack failure ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it was.

Thee work was only done a week ago, too!

My wife noticed problems on tight turns after getting the car back, so we took it back to them to test.

Their position is that they didn't test the steering from lock to lock! Just quoted us £3000 for a new rack, pump, bushings, etc.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

any update?

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if the rack is damaged it's highly unlikely to be as a result of the work that was carried out by removing it. The rack it's self is a self contained unit and there is no reason it would have been dismantled. Did this happen instantly after the work was carried out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, there was no issue before that we were aware of. I'm really peeved that they had to unbolt and move the rack and steering column to take the sump off, but didn't notice any issues. Apparently it is only when you turn lock to lock that the piston over extends. I'm no mechanic, but when I take stuff apart I test it fully when I put it back together.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Yes I agree it should have been checked on road test after the work was carried out. It is unlikely that they damaged the rack, but far from impossible, but because if this it would be difficult to prove it either way. I would be inclined to raise this issue with the service manager at the garage to see what they say, they should be willing to at least look further into it to consider the possibility of them being liable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I'll give it a try. They seem very resistant to admitting any liability at the moment. I find it hard to believe that when you unbolt and move a steering rack and steering column, then refit it, you wouldn't test the steering fully before releasing the car! Just from a safety point of view, at least. I guess that's the angle to pursue.

Expert:  Ross replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the chances of this suddenly failing as a coincidence after the sump was repaired is so low, from a realistic point of view the rack was either faulty and unnoticed by you prior to the repair, or they caused the damage, so really either way the problem was almost certainly present at the time of road test. The steering was probably not checked as well as it should have been. I think this is good enough reason for the service manager to take your complaint seriously and allow investigation into this.