Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

I have a 10 plate Fiat Punto 1.4. Last week I turned off the

Customer Question

I have a 10 plate Fiat Punto 1.4.
Last week I turned off the Stop Start and the engine management light has come on.
Previously the light has gone off after standing for a day.
This is not happening now.
Is this serious?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Hi .
As long as the check engine light is not flashing you are okay to drive, until you have time to book in your car to be checked .
Let me explain what this light is for .
When the check engine light comes ON when the engine is running then this is an indication to the driver that the fuel injection (diesel or petrol) system has a malfunction and has stored a malfunction code in the management system (ECM)..
Now if the check engine light is not flashing, then you are still okay to drive your car until you have time to make an appointment at your local repair shop or dealership.
If it is Flashing you need to get to the dealers as soon as possible to avoid any engine damage .
What they will do is connect a scan tool to the system and check for malfunction codes ..
From the found malfunction codes the technician will then know what has malfunctioned and give you advice on what action should be taken to repair this issue ..
When the repairs have been completed the codes will be deleted and a test drive done covering all drive cycles to make sure the check engine light does not come back on.
If repairs are good the light will stay OFF ,if it comes back on then further diagnosis must be done ..
What ever you do please don't drive hard in 2nd gear this will cause engine and exhaust damage ...
Please rate my help a good to excellent if you are satisfied .
If not ready to rate don't rate poor or bad service as we can continue to work on this issue or I can opt out and recommend another expert .
After accepting there is no extra charge for further assistance.
If I don't reply soon I will as quickly as I can when i get back on line.
Kind regards Greg