Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2004 Citroen Xsara Picasso which has done 73,00 miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Citroen Xsara Picasso which has done 73,00 miles. Bought it 1 June 2015 The engine fault light came after a month and 1000 miles later. The engine misfired and I pulled over and switched off. I got the RAC out. The engineer said the code was cam shaft centraliser at fault. Started the engine and it ran smoothly but the fault light was still on. I went to a garage that day and they replaced the cam shaft centralisers. 2 weeks later, same thing happens again. Call out the RAC, same fault code, still runs smoothly when restarted, fault code lit but drove home. Took vehicle to my regular garage for full service and check the cam sghaft and timing, fault light off . Nothing wrong. Driven for a further month same thing happens this week. engine misfires and runs lumpy. Pull over, switch off, wait few minutes, restart engine runs smoothly, but fauilt light on. Started this morning, runs smoothly and engine fault light off . What's wrong with the warning system ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome.My name is***** happy to advise - Do you have any actual fault codes pulled from the system,? If so , what are they ?Too - please give me the cars full reg number - Rgds, MIKE.....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Car Registration LV54 DYT

Sorry don't have the fault codes, only know what the two RAC engineers told me when they attended and cleared the fault . The first one advised me that the cam shaft centralisers were likely to fail after 70,000 so I accepted his advice to take it to a garage in High Wycombe after I broke down on the M40 and have them replaced. At the second break down the next RAC engineer looked at the engine and confirmed that new centralisers had been fitted, he cleared the fault coder and i drove home to London - 90 miles . When I took it to my regular garage for a service etc, the fault light had gone and although they checked the cam shaft and the timing the car ran ok. This 4th episode happened after another 500/600 miles and after switching off and driving home with the fault light on, the engine runs smoothly and the fault light has gone out again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,

Further to your request for the actual fault codes , my wife reminded me that our garage had recorded them from the engine control uint when they looked at the car. They were :

"P1336: Catalytic convertor damaging; misfire , multiple cylinders detected

P0341: Camshaft position sensor, Outside specified range

Checked connection at camshaft sensor, all ok. Checked signal, appear ok

Checked engine timing, if timing is not correct it can produce a fault code. Engine timing all ok "

Hope this helps

Andrew

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike,