Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Hyundai Getz speedometer and rev counter not working

Hyundai Getz (2007) speedometer and rev counter needles are not moving at all. This fault appeared in mid July 2015. On investigating it at a local garage the car refused to start at all.

A Hyundai garage spent days trying to replicate the non starting and eventually did this. They suggested an intermittent problem with the immobiliser control box. The car began working again including its speedometer until about an hour ago. (Saturday afternoon 29 August 2015 - just before a public holiday on Monday).

The intermittent nature of the problems suggest a missing connection somewhere. Any thoughts?

Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Just to ensure i fully understand the problem, does the car refuse to start when the gauges are not working, or are is the non start issue not directly related? thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ross

The non-starting is separate from the speedometer problem. Yesterday I started and drove the car a short distance to check speedometer and rev counter, Neither worked, with the needles staying completely still.

Ian

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this makes perfect sense. The speedometer problem is quite common on these and is caused by a fault within the gauge module its self. I believe it is one more bad joints on the chips. Unfortunately this is an electronics problem rather than mechanical so is usually left for repair by an electronics engineer or auto electrical specialist.There are three options.1, Replace with new dials2, fit second hand dials3, have your dials repairedThere are pros and cons to all options, new dials are expensive and require your millage correcting by the main dealer but it cures the problem simply and easily. Second hand dials may suffer from failure too, and will also need the mileage correcting, or you can live with a different millage, this is the cheapest option, Finally having your dials repaired, it means you will be without dials for around a week as they need to be sent off for repair, the upside of this is that it retains your mileage and they offer a warranty with it.If you choose to repairhttp://www.bba-reman.com are highly recommended, a simple google search will also show up many other car electronic repairers so you can get a few quotes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks Ross

The Getz has a 2 year comprehensive breakdown cover from Penton's in Salisbury, who sold us the car in July 2014.

The administrator of the policy, TPG, was not helpful during the first round of problems in July 2015, leaving all arrangements and payments for me to deal with. I found Westover Hyundai, who are about a mile from Penton's and arranged for Meadow Garage to transport the Getz to them.

It is a bank holiday today so I will have to contact TPG again tomorrow to decide what to do next.

From your answer it seems that TPG should task Hyundai Westover to replace the dials and restore the car to normal working order. Does that seem reasonable?

Best wishes

Ian

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
You would need to check in the terms of the warranty, some only cover "mechanical failure" electrical failure is often declined on basic cover however if this was a comprehensive warranty it should cover it (Most good warranty companies would cover this) If the warranty covers the fault then it is absolutely reasonable for you to expect the garage to carry out the repair, they usually take care of the majority of the administration work to claim from the warranty company, but again this depends how the company operates, you may need to make a few phone calls to open the claim with them. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience: Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Ross

TPG have asked me to take the Getz to the local garage (Meadows) to see what they can find.

Ian