Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My emission control warning light has come on , is it

Customer Question

hi . my emission control warning light has come on , is it safe to drive , I havnt noticed any impairment to engine running
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Can you let me know the make/model of your car please thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

boxster 986 petrol

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If the warning light has come on and stayed on (rather than flashing while driving) there should be be no problems using the car. It should be looked into as soon as is convenient and a fault code scan carried out to look into the fault. Often it is a minor glitch or simple sensor fault (O2 sensors are common) In the long term fuel efficiency and/or emissions can be effected so my advice is always to get it looked into as soon as you realistically can but its highly unlikely to have any negative effects. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

could it be that I have used 95 octane rather than 98 by mistake ?

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I can find out if this would be an issue, is your model an import or UK model?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

uk model

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the UK model will be fine on 95 Ron although many people prefer to use 98, saying that, the ECU which controls the fueling will adapt over time to the running conditions, a sudden change of these can cause a slight upset which puts the light on. So it is quite possible it has caused the light, but i doubt it's actually caused any faults.You can try to re-set the light by disconnecting the car battery for approx 10 mins, this will clear the fault code memory and usually will put the light out, but it also re-sets the ECU adjustments so it can then re-learn on 95 if you plan to continue using it. If you plan to go back to 98, it's best to do this re-set once the 98 fuel has been put in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi ross , just to let you know , I put shell vitro into the Porsche and the light went out immediately.

rgds

mark