Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

My 2004 1.6 hdi 110 Picasso has a rattle/vibration coming

My 2004 1.6 hdi 110 Picasso has a rattle/vibration coming from engine compartment, which disappears when revving. No smoke, performance fine, engine runs smoothly when driving. Bottom pulley replaced recently. Present mileage 140k, cambelt replaced, turbo replaced, clutch replaced by previous owner, not sure when, car just passed an MOT without a problem

Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still waiting for my answer, ie, what is the problem?

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Is this a deep rumble vibration type noise or more of a metallic rattle? thanks Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

none of the above, more like a rattle of something loose

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Please don't provide a negative rating at this point, this is a live chat where we can talk back and forth, naturally diagnosing noise online is not an easy task so bare with me if it takes a few questions to get to the bottom of it. These engines have a metal timing chain which links the two cam shafts (which are belt driven) These chains have a tenancy to stretch which causes a rattle. Because of the design of the chain it often starts are a light rattle which eventually turns to a deeper hammering noise from within the engine. My first thought is that this could be related to the chain. It is located on the right hand side top of the engine and although is not always that easy to pinpoint without a stethoscope probe it may give you an idea of what it could be so its worth checking this first. Alternators also go noisy causing a rattle, the load of the belt causes wear on the outer bearing, this is very close to the chain so often they make a similar noise from a similar area.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
There is one other possibility which i have come across a few times which is the fuel filter housing bracket. This is bolted to the left hand side of the engine, the metal bracket has a support across it which tends to snap and rattle against the filter housing. When a diesel engine is running on idle the vibrations are far more noticeable which will cause these things to stop rattling as soon as the engine is revved.If these are checked and the noise doesn't appear to be from that area, It will be a case of physically inspecting the engine while it is running preferably on a vehicle lift to have a good listen both on top and underneath, There are quite literally hundreds of possibilities from a loose exhaust clamp, though to something as simple as a loose nut/bolt so it may be a case of listening and trying to trace it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Your answer makes sense and I shall ask a local mechanic to look at this. If your guess about the timing chain having stretched is right, is this a complicated repair? Does it need replacing or just adjusting, bearing the age/mileage of the vehicle? Is there any danger of driving the vehicle in this state?

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the chains cannot be adjusted, and it's a fairly big job as the camshaft carrier needs to be removed, (around a days work) and the cam belt also needs to come off again, The chain would need to be replaced with a new tenssioner (kit is around £100) however if it is just rattly and not clattering it is in very early stages. The chains will get to a point where it starts slapping against the cylinder head before they fail, and believe me they let you know about it! It will make a loud clicking/hammering noise. But as this is only at idle, its either just starting to stretch or is something else so I would not be too worried at this point, although ideally it should be done as soon as possible, it's not something that will suddenly fail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good stuff, I think I've got plenty now to keep my local mechanic occupied. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
No problem ! Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.