Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Pajero 3.6 overheating. Replaced head gaskets replaced thermostat

Pajero 3.6 overheating. Replaced head gaskets replaced thermostat and water pump. Still overheats on a long uphill.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.It sounds like the radiator is blocked, it is a fairly common problem i have come across many times on these, and the same goes for many other Japanese built vehicles. The fact you say this happens on a long hill is the most common symptom as with the work you have already carried out, Unless the radiator has already been replaced I would say it is almost certainly the problem and should be replaced as a next step.Many Japanese build radiators use very narrow cores, these block easily and although the radiator will appear to have a perfectly good flow when you flush it... several of the cores are probably blocked, the aluminum corrodes which forms granulated aluminum oxide deposits in the ends of the core, this effecivly reduces coolant flow which is almost un-noticeable until the engine is put under heavy load such as long hills.From experience, unfortunately no amount of flushing will work, it may help very slightly but due the hard deposit build ups, a replacement radiator is really the only way to cure it.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late response. I sent the radiator for a clean and repair to our local Silverton repair shop and will let you know how it goes. Also noticed a small leak behind the motor on the coolant pipes. I originally had a problem with the two little t pieces that send coolant to the rear heater disintegrating. They failed within a few days of each other and dumped all the coolant. That was when I discovered that the air on turns off automatically when the eng temp rises above half way. Pretty cool, excuse the pun.