Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a vw polo est 1.9 diesel. when i put the ignition on,

I have a vw polo est 1.9 diesel. when i put the ignition on, & put my foot on the brake, the dashboard lights come on as if you are travelling at night, but the side lights don't come on. Help please.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello when you say all the lights come on, do you mean all the warning lights , oil , park brake , low washer fluid etc?and they all come on and stay on all the time ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes all lights stay on until you take your foot off the brake.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hello do the lights come on when driving /moving and you press the brake?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes the lights stay on only when slowing down & using the break, also it stops the rear wiper from being used.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello OK then I suspect that there's a short in the wiring just under the dash and orginating with the brake pedal light switch this switch is located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwelllocate the switch , disconnect it and see if this solves the issue if it does then trace the wiring back into the main loom , checking for any damaged insulation or corroded connections and rectify as required
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your help.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
no problem Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.