Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

The audio unit on my 08 Mondeo was working perfectly, after

The audio unit on my 08 Mondeo was working perfectly, after un unrelated electrical problem the unit will not switch on now, an auto electrician has checked the wiring and has said that he can find nothing wrong and that power is going to the unit, Is the unit broken or is there a way to switch it back on. I have the security code if only it will come back to life. Hope you can help
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Unfortunately this does sound like a classic case of stereo head unit failure. The fact you say this happened after an unrelated electrical problem would also add up, I suspect that the power supply may have been interrupted (such as pulling a fuse, disconnecting certain wiring or disconnecting the battery while the other electrical issue was being looked into, when the power is reconnected to the stereo there is sometimes a voltage spike, these stereo head units seem to be over sensitive to this which causes an internal failure of the electronics directly or a short time after the voltage spike occurred ( This also happens after jump starting)Generally you are left with three options.1. Fit a new stereo from ford (This is very expensive)2. Fit a second hand stereo (This is the cheapest option £50 upwards will get you a replacement with security code)3. Have your current stereo repaired (Cheaper than a new one, around £150)As a second hand stereo is relatively cheap and effective this is usually the best option, however companies such as BBA Reman should be able to repair your stereo if you choose that option. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.