Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

We have a C200 (04 plate) just this last week the coil light

Hi we have a C200 (04 plate) just this last week the coil light has started coming on for a short while while we are driving. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.If the coil light is flashing it is indicating an active fault being detected on the diesel management system, When this light is flashing or comes on when driving a fault code will be stored on the on board diagnostic system. The next step is to get the car to a garage for a fault code scan, this will bring up a code e.g P1234 This will pinpoint which part of the diesel management system is causing the problem. Often the code will pinpoint an exact cause, sometimes it will require some further diagnostics to confirm the cause. Unfortunately at this point, without a code it is very difficult for me to give a more accurate idea of what it could actually be as there are hundreds of potential causes of this light. If the car is otherwise running well with no smoke, rough running or power loss it is generally OK to use the car, but you should get it looked into as soon as is conveniently possible. The next step is to get a a fault code scan done, it will usually cost around £40 at an independent garage (up to £100 for a specialist or dealer) but all good garages should be able to do this for you. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.