Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My L reg disco has a problem when I reach 60 the front of the car starts to shake and will

My L reg disco has a problem when I reach 60 the front of the car starts to shake and will not stop untill it is at a standstill.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd next check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts also check the propshaft either has not got a worn joint or the centre bearing is worn or its out of balance you can easily check for for any slack in the propshaft joints by twisting either half by hand and feeling for any play as there should be virtually none the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally but if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit and then look along the propshaft for any signs of a missing balance weight as these take the form of little 3/4" squares that are welded onto the shaft - as they are only tacked on they can sometimes come loose and be lost resulting in the shaft being out of balance - if a joint is worn this can also shake them loose so if a joint is replaced its good practice to have the shaft re-balanced afterwards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All that you have advised has been done and are ok
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OK next thing to check is the state of the Panhard bushes on the panhard rod on the front axleif these are worn the whole axle can judder back an forht also check that the hub nuts are tight and swivel pins on the front hubs are also free from playand that the steering damper is in good condtion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steering damper leaking thank you
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OK hopefully thats itBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.