Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I started my car (Kia Rio) yesterday morning ,and it belched

I started my car (Kia Rio) yesterday morning ,and it belched blue smoke out for a few seconds and then cleared itself and seeems to be OK now ,it is a 60 Reg ,so still under warranty ,whats caused that please?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Blue smoke is a sign of oil being burnt, although it would only take a tiny amount to cause the smoke you describe it is not normal to be burning oil. The fact this has only happened once wouldn't be overly concerning at this point though.A puff of blue smoke on first start is a classic sign of worn valve stem seals allowing oil to drip into the cylinders when the engine is stopped, this would generally smoke every time the car has been left to cool and re-started so my best advice at this point is to monitor it on first start in the morning, Naturally on cold starts it will smoke/steam slightly, this should be white and is normal but if it blows out blue smoke again and continues to do this, the valve stem seals would be suspect.I advise you to monitor for a few days, whether it does or doesn't happen again I think it would be wise to take the car into your local KIA Main dealer in case there is a known problem with your engine. Although there are none that I am aware of, specific engines/models can have issues which they know about and will repair under warranty. Other problem such as PCV (Positive crank case vent) systems can also cause similar issues, or even head gasket problems and although I'm doubtful this is anything major it is well worth questioning the dealer and letting them take a look for known issues.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.