Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Suzuki Alto 6 months out of warranty with a mileage of 23,000

Suzuki Alto 6 months out of warranty with a mileage of 23,000 has had to have a new steering rack. Suzuki do not want to know. Is this a common fault or should the manufacturer take some blame
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
No normally the steering hold up very well ,
In your category of car type and mileage the Suzuki has only 1.2% steering failures per 60.000 cars and then this depends on the problem you had with your steering rack ,was it leaking , Knocking ,etc.??
But still as said normally a good unit , no reports of any call backs or failure TSB reports.
Then if needed please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

steering problem referred to garage because of poor handling when driven. Do you think suzuki should accept some culpability for goods "not fit for purpose" or am I wasting my time seeking an element of recompense

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard .
Did you have this work done at a Suzuki Dealer .
What was the poor handling ..pulling to one side steering from one side to the other , steering wheel having too much play .
Rgds Greg
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi . Just checking in if you still need assistance . Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the replacement steering rack was carried out by the Suzuki garage that diagnosed the problem. They said it was the first steering rack they had relpaced in a car of that age and mileage.

The poor handling:-

* felt stiff driving along especially round corners

* felt like it needed tracking but this was checked anf found perfect

* just felt heavy to steer and drive

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
With this being a one off issue , then i don't think you will be able to do anything now out of warranty .I would in your case talk to the service management and ask what your chances are ??Some shops will push to see if they can help in a case like this , but don't see you getting anywhere but who knows ask .. Kindest regards Greg